Typically, students do not like composing texts on a professor’s request. It seems boring to them, as writing assignments are time-consuming. It is a real challenge, especially for students who lack creative thinking and imagination.
However, it is not as difficult as you imagine. There has been much talk on the complexity of academic writing, but to be frank, an essay is almost the easiest type of tasks given in educational institutions. Basically, a student simply needs to propose a topic for a discussion, use a few arguments to prove that it is relevant and then sum it up. In general, the task is an easy project if you know what to write about and how to structure it correctly.
Never underestimate the importance of good essay writing skills. It can be applied in various areas of your school, university or adult life.
Good Way To Start Your Essay
The main difficulty may correspond not even to the text itself. The students have no idea how to begin an essay, and such cases are frequent. You can be equipped with a mind-blowing topic. There may be a lot of intriguing arguments on your brain. You can be explicitly consistent in the thesis of the essay. However, the process of writing has not yet commenced, as you do not know how to start a paper.
Fortunately, there is a proven way to help you with an essay, if that’s a problem for you. In every endeavor, it is crucial to be consistent and follow the right pattern. In this case, you need to touch upon the key building blocks for a well-developed text.
- Choose the essay topic.
In most cases, choosing a good topic for a text is not difficult, as it is supposed to be mentioned in task requirements. However, if the professor gives you a chance to choose a topic at your own discretion, stay calm and try to get your head around it. For starters, consider the areas of your life that pose no difficulty for you. There is something you have deep experience in. When you define the relevant area, you can narrow down the list of possible choices to a maximum of 2-3 probable topics. Now, it is a matter of your own preferences. Make sure it is an interesting, thought-provoking and relevant issue to cover.
- Develop the thesis.
Now, when you are ready with the topic, let’s move further and craft a decent thesis. The best way to start an essay lies not merely in the understanding of the topic. You need to clarify your position in short, so that the reader gets a clue of what is to be discussed next.
A good thesis is an opening to your essay. It is a statement that vividly represents your personal attitude to the topic and frames your position in the discussion. Ideally, it is no more than one sentence where the core points are reviewed superficially.
Make a framework for:
- Introductory paragraph.
The purpose of your essay is to create an eye-catchy text for a group of readers and, thus, convey a particular message. An introductory part is an opening to your text. Therefore, it cannot be an obscure bunch of words. It will only confuse the readers. The introduction should be striking, instead. For this reason, you need to figure out what is the correct organization of the text.
When a reader has taken an interest in the topic and is familiar with the main objectives, it is high time to explain your position and prove it with the arguments. Do not hesitate to develop a clear outline of the main part of the text.
An essay is not a solid copy of redundant sentences. It is divided into separate sections on a particular purpose. Each part of the text is equally important, and the conclusion is not an exception. You need to take a responsible approach when summarizing the text.
How to write an essay introduction
Unfortunately, you cannot find a perfect answer to “How to start an essay” question. There are a few strategies used by writers in different disciplines. However, they are applicable to every type of writing. It will be even more beneficial if you make the most of every technique.
- Begin with the introduction part when your essay is finished. At first, It can seem awkward to you, but you need to take into account an important thing. In the process of writing, your position can change its direction. Thus, it is better to elaborate on your introduction last.
- The introduction consists of an intriguing hook, a strong thesis, and a transitive sentence. To make sure the intro is appropriate, develop a few examples and then choose the best one.
- Edit your text at the end. When the paper is finished, it is the introduction that you need to proofread one more time. It will be helpful for sure.
How to write an essay Body
Basically, the body of the text is supposed to be the most informative part of your essay. Sometimes it can be difficult to structure the information properly. There is fear to miss important information or confuse some facts. Therefore, you need to stick to the unspoken rules. In general, each paragraph follows the same pattern. Therefore, you simply need to tailor the first part and then stick to it with the last two sections of your body.
- Keep in mind that your text should be divided into 2-3 logical paragraphs. Each paragraph is meant to reveal a single argument.
- The first sentence of each paragraph represents a separate argument. The first one has to be the most convincing. The next arguments should be less significant.
- In the next few sentences, you are to prove the argument with a good and strong example.
- Make sure the examples vividly illustrate your thesis.
- Wrap up your paragraph with a closing sentence and move smoothly to the next part.
How to write a conclusion for an essay
The conclusion is as important, as the other parts of the essay. However, even at various writing services, the writers can overlook this section and treat it with contempt. The conclusive part has been created to reiterate the initial message the writer wanted to convey.
Therefore, for a well-developed conclusion, you need to frame it distinctly.
- Make use of transitive phrases. It is better to refrain from transitive words overuse throughout the text. It can little harm to the readability of the essay. However, to start your conclusion with a transitive phrase is a must.
- The best way to remind a reader about the core message is to restate the thesis, but not word for word.
- Complement your conclusion with a few words about the arguments used in the text.
- At last, make use of an intriguing sentence or even a question. It will definitely arouse the interest in the topic.
Common mistakes to avoid when you write your essay
Chances are you will fail to present a good quality essay because of silly and awkward mistakes, as such:
- The absence of a plan.
Some students overestimate their skills in writing. Thus, they mix up the information, as there is no pattern to follow.
- Poor language.
Your text will impress the professor, if there is an abundance of appropriate synonyms, antonyms, phrasal verbs or, in some cases, phraseological units. Make your text tasty and interesting to read, but do not overdo it.
- No checking.
No matter what your language proficiency is, you have to check the text at least twice. Make sure you have enough time to proofread the essay and check it for the mistakes of different kinds.